This is a very simple and easy biryani recipe. The tandoori chicken is a great twist on the traditional biryani and the flavors are fresh and delicious. Serve it with your favorite raita.
- ½ kg Chicken
- 250 gm yogurt
- 1 Onion, cut into slices
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 4 green chilies (cut lengthwise)
- ¼ bunch coriander leaves
- ¼ bunch mint leaves
- ½ cup clarified butter (ghee)
- 100 gm plums
- 300 gm Rice
- 1 tbsp. red chili powder
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. all spice powder
- 2 tbsps. ginger/ garlic paste
- ½ tsp yellow food color
- ½ tsp nutmeg and mace powder
- ½ tsp green and black cardamom powder
- Whole all spice as required
- 2 Star anise
- 2 tbsps. kewra
- Salt to taste
Tandoori Chicken Biryani Cooking Method
- Preheat oven at 180 c.
- Soak the rice in water for half an hour.
- In a bowl mix 1 tbsp. of ginger/garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, all spice powder, salt and 125 gm yogurt.
- Make small cuts on the chicken and let marinate in the spice mix.
- Grease the baking tray and put the chicken over the baking tray.
- Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
For the Gravy
- In a bowl mix the food color and kewra and keep aside.
- Take out 2 tbsps. of clarified butter and keep it aside too.
- On a low flame, heat the remaining clarified butter in a pan and fry the onion, whole all spice and star anise.
- When the onions are golden brown, add the remaining ginger/garlic paste and mix well.
- Add the green chilies and the remaining yogurt and cook till the yogurt dries up.
- Add the plums, tomatoes, salt, half cup of water, 2 tsp of kewra mix and half the quantity of coriander and mint leaves.
- Cook it for 2 minutes and turn of the flame.
- In a pan boil rice with a bit of salt. Semi cook the rice.
- Put ¼ tsp nutmeg and mace powder, ¼ tsp black and green cardamom powder and the remaining coriander and mint leaves on top of the gravy.
- Top it with the tandoori chicken.
- When the rice is cooked, take 1/3 of the rice and layer it on top of the chicken.
- Take the rest of the rice and add the remaining nutmeg and mace powder, ¼ tsp green and black cardamom powder, 1 tsp kewra mix and 2 tbsps. clarified butter on top and mix.
- Layer this on top of the remaining rice.
- And on low flame, steam rice for 5-10 minutes.
- Tandoori style Chicken Biryani is ready to serve.
Cook Time: 50-55 Minutes
Perp Time: 30 Minutes